January BOSFCPUG Workflow Mixer
"A Night of Compression: Delivering in H.264"
Upper Crust Pizza and Beverages Sponsored Courtesy of
Network. Learn workflow. Win Prizes!
Over $7,000 worth in Prizes to be given away in the Big Dig Raffle (See Below)!
DATE: Thursday, January 21, 2010
TIMES: 7PM - 10PM (Doors open at 6:30PM)
Arsenal Center for the Arts
321 Arsenal Street
Watertown, MA 02472
Event Directions: Click HERE for Directions and parking info
This month's worklfow mixer is sponsored by our friends at Matrox and Telestream
**Includes PIZZA & Refreshments plus 1 free raffle ticket to Big Dig Raffle (See Updated raffle Sponsors *Below* - Complete Raffle Prize List to be updated shortly!)
BOSFCPUG MEMBERS: $5.00 to attend via EventBrite
STUDENTS RECEIVE FREE ADMISSION: contact us
for free discount code to use at checkout
***NOTE: please be sure to pre-register if you plan to attend, it will make the check-in process more efficient and allow us to get accurate numbers for seating and refreshments***
Producers, Editors, Digital Content Creators: Begin the New Year of 2010 with a Bang! by re-connecting adn networking with members of Boston's digital filmmaking community.
Whether you're a Final Cut Pro, Avid or Adobe editor, this is one networking workflow mixer you'll not want to miss.
Today's digital filmmakers begin their projects knowing first how they will deliver.
H.264 plays an important role in that delivery and we're going to focus on workflow solutions to optimize your h.264 encoding and distribution to Blu-ray, digital downloads, the web and mobile devices.
If you’re a professional content creator delivering H.264 files for Blu-ray, the web, and mobile devices, you need a fast, flexible, high quality encoding workhorse. The Matrox MAX
technology is that workhorse! It works in systems with or without a video I/O device and extends the life of your current system investment, giving you the power you need to deliver today's premium H.264 formats faster than ever.
Join us as Francesco Scartozzi
and Wayne Andrews
give us a hands-on workflow demo of professional H.264 encoding with MAX
technology using the Matrox CompressHD
accelerator card for desktop Mac Pro content creators and the new Matrox MXO2 LE
, MXO2 Rack
and MXO2 Mini
for both desktop Mac Pro and portable, location-based MacBook Pro workflows.
Our featured guest will be Brooklyn-based compressionist
and Episode Encoder
expert Craig Seeman
of Third Planet Video
. Craig will give us a hands-on look at using Telestream Episode Encoder
in your production and delivery workflows.
LIGHTNING FAST H.264 ENCODING TECHNOLOGY FOR THE MAC AND PC
Matrox MAX is a unique technology that speeds up H.264 encoding for resolutions ranging from iPod to HD. It uses a dedicated hardware processor to accelerate the creation of H.264 files for Blu-ray, the web, and mobile devices. By using specialized hardware acceleration, jobs are finished with amazing speed and system resources are liberated for other tasks. Quality and flexibility are ensured through direct integration with professional applications such as Apple Compressor, Telestream Episode Encoder
and Adobe Media Encoder
You will leave knowing:
- Why H.264 has become the standard CODEC for delivery to the web, phone, and Blu-ray.
- The "positive" and "negative" of working with H.264.
- Current encoding applications for MAC & PC including a comparison of rendering times.
- Tips and tricks on using MAX technology with Apple Compressor, Telestream Episode Encoder and Adobe Media Encoder.
Our January workflow mixer is open to ALL Final Cut Pro, Avid and Adobe users, HDSLR filmmakers and those who make decisions in how content is delivered.
ABOUT WAYNE ANDREWS
Wayne Andrews is a senior product manager for the Matrox Video Products Group and frequent speaker on video editing techniques at industry seminars and events. For close to 10 years Wayne has been helping broadcasters, post facilities, and project studios implement cost-effective editing solutions. In his "spare time" he films, edits, and produces concert DVD's for a wide variety of music groups.
ABOUT FRANCESCO SCARTOZZI
Francesco Scartozzi is director of sales (Americas) for the Matrox Video Products Group. Francesco is responsible for identifying video industry trends, uncovering customer pain points, working with research and development teams to create cost-effective solutions, and educating customers about new opportunities to improve their workflows. Francesco began his career at Matrox in 1995 and has held various roles; from applications engineer where he learned the technology and the art of supporting customers; to sales engineer where his keen business development skills were put into practice. Francesco holds a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering with a minor in management from McGill University.
ABOUT CRAIG SEEMAN
Craig Seeman has been working in video post production since 1981, back when changing reels was good exercise. By 1990 he was burning laser discs and cutting video on a CMX6000 laser disc editing system, trying to avoid sessions on rainy days where the humidity would warp the disks. After an intensive lobbying effort, the editors convinced the facility to buy an Avid. He took one look at those fuzzy images and knew compression would be a booming field in the distant future. After working through a half-dozen post facilities, he was a senior editor by the mid '90s. When no one in the facility could operate a Mac, he ran that part of the multimedia department. With a growing number of Avids at the facility and no engineer who understood them, he added that to his list of duties.
He did all this while clients were requesting him to edit spots, corporate, VNRs, docs, and a music video or two at the same time. Hearing that "Craig can you come to room . . ." in the middle of edit sessions became all too common on the paging system along with the 80 hour weeks.
Ever the multitasker, his next gig at a major sports post facility started as video engineer as well as training producers to become Avid editors. One day they tossed Media Cleaner in front of him and asked if he could send the results to clients and Craig learned how to make his own fuzzy pictures less fuzzy while handling the fast action of sports.
Since 2002, Craig and his wife Michele operate their own boutique production facility. In keeping with his diverse past, Third Planet Video
does a little bit of everything. Every shoot and edit ends with compression. It's the last thing the client sees, so to Craig it's got to look good. Craig is also a Forum moderator on Creative COW's Compression techniques
, Sony EX Series XDCAM , Telestream Episode
and Telestream Wirecast
forums. Criag has also authored an article
on using Matrox CompressHD with MAX.
BIG DIG RAFFLE WORTH OVER $7,000
Prizes to include:
- Matrox CompressHD with MAX card - Matrox - ($495 value)
- Telestream Episode Encoder Pro - Telestream - ($995 value)
- Digieffects MegaSuite (all Digieffects plug-ins) - Digieffects ($799 value)
- Litepanels LP Micro - Litepanels - ($299 value)
- 3 month rental of GenArts Plug-ins - GenArts - ($507 value)
- Magic Bullet Suite 2009 - Red Giant Software - ($799 value)
- BoinxTV - Boinx Software - ($499 value)
- mocha for Final Cut - Imagineer Systems - ($199 value)
- Topaz Enhance - Topaz Labs - ($349 value)
- Logic Keyboard Advance Line keyboard of your choice - Logic Keyboards - ($149 value)
- 2 free Stock Footage Clips - ArtBeats - ($500 value)
- 200 towards MotionVFX Templates - MotionVFX - ($200 value)
- 2 free Stock Footage Clips - FootageHead - ($400 value)
- Copy of VeeScope Live - VeeScaope Live - ($100 value)
- $100.00 off or towards any Digital Heaven products - Digital Heaven - ($100 value)
- idustrial revolution ParticleMetrix - Noise Industries - ($49 value)
- idustrial revolution Decimal Counter - Noise Industries - ($29 value)
- "Fast Path to Blu-ray for Mac" - Bruce Nazarian - ($14.95 value)
- Copy of UserMatic - EditGroove - ($34.95 value)
- "Final Cut Pro Power Skills" - Larry Jordan - ($39.99 value)
- ShotPut Pro version 2.0 - Imagine Products - ($89 value)
- ProxyMill version 2.0 - Imagine Products - ($199 value)
- Copy of DVDxDVPro - DVDxDV - ($39.95 value)
- Copy of "The New Now" - Philip Hodgetts - ($19.95 value)
- Selected Books by PeachPit Press
- Selected Books by Focal Press
- AND More Prizes to announced soon!
BIG DIG RAFFLE SPONSORED BY
And a WHOLE LOT MORE!